Skip to content
Font size: A A
Contrast: C C C C
Accessibility How to use this site
Call 999 in emergencies or 101 for non-emergencies
Contact us

What do I do now?

Contact the police

Call 999 if the crime is happening now or the suspect is still on scene.

Call 101 if the incident has already occurred or use our report a crime form

Protect the scene

Try to preserve the crime scene for any forensic evidence that may be of use to the police. This includes:

  • CCTV footage
  • invoices
  • receipts
  • any other information that can help us to investigate

What happens next?

If the incident is serious, it is likely an officer will visit your business to take additional information and if appropriate, begin the process of evidence-gathering as part of the investigation.

If the incident does not require immediate attendance, a police officer or police community support officer (PCSO) may make contact or visit you to give community assurance.


What else can I do?

You can request that a member of police staff will contact you, with a view to giving crime prevention advice. Or you can visit the following websites for additional advice to prevent future offences:

Police UK - crime prevention advice

HM Government - CCTV supporting small businesses

Action Fraud - support and prevention 



Page last updated: 11 January 2018