Skip to content
Font size: A A
Contrast: C C C C
Accessibility How to use this site
Call 999 in emergencies or 101 for non-emergencies
Contact us

It can be upsetting if a person you care about is being abused and it may be difficult to know what to do. There are steps you can take to help your friend or family member.


What do I do now?

Report this to us, the police, IMMEDIATELY if you feel that a person or their children are in immediate danger of being harmed.

Call the police: 999 in an emergency, 101 for non-emergencies.

The call handler will ask you a series of questions that they will read out to you. This enables the correct information to be gathered from you and it will assess the urgency of the situation, and the best response. Please give as much detail as possible in answer to these questions, the information that you provide will be very important in how we can then help. You can call anonymously if you want to.


What will happen next?

If there is an immediate risk to any person, the police will respond straight away and ensure the safety of any adults and children present.

If it is an ongoing situation, we will discuss with you how we can assist and what you might be able to do to help us.


What else can I do?

Try to persuade the person who you have concerns about to make contact with the police and support them to make a complaint.

Encourage them to make contact with independent agencies such as:

GDASS (Gloucestershire Domestic Abuse Support Services)  0845 602 9035

National Domestic Violence Helpline 0808 2000 247

Glos Take a Stand

Page last updated: 20 June 2018