Skip to content
Font size: A A
Contrast: C C C C
Accessibility How to use this site
Call 999 in emergencies or 101 for non-emergencies
Contact us

The abuse of adults at risk can take place in a number of ways. Abuse can be physical, psychological, sexual or financial. The abuse can also take the form of neglecting or failing to properly look after an adult at risk. It can take place anywhere and be committed by anyone. You may also be worried that an adults at risk needs more help and support in the community.

Gloucestershire Constabulary is committed to stopping all forms of abuse. If you suspect that a person is suffering any kind of abuse or neglect then report it to us. We can work with other agencies to ensure that the correct action is taken.


What do I do now?

If you are unsure if the person you are worried about would want the police to be involved, you can still speak to us so that we can consider how to help.

You can report any suspicions you might have, you do not have to wait until you are sure

You can call 999 on an emergency or 101 for non-emergencies

If you suspect the a person is at immediate risk of harm telephone the police IMMEDIATELY



What happens next?

If there is an immediate risk to a person, the police will attend straight away and make sure that everyone is safe.

The call-taker on the phone will take as much detail as possible from you and assess the situation. The answers that you give will help us know how to respond.

Sometimes a local officer will deal with your concern. For more complicated cases, Gloucestershire Constabulary has a team of specialist officers who work closely with social care and other agencies to safeguard adults at risk.

We will always consider what is in their best interest and always listen to what the person would like to happen and ensure they have the right support.


What else can I do?

We would encourage you to report concerns about adults at risk to the police. By telling us, we can ensure that everything is done to protect them. 

If you do not want to speak to the police, you can report your concerns anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

There are also other agencies you can contact if you do not want to speak to the police or if you require further advice.

Adult Social Care Helpdesk (Gloucestershire County Council)

Gloucestershire Safeguarding Adults Board

NHS care and support guide (Abuse and neglect of adults at risk)

Care Quality Commission (Independent health and social care regulator)

Page last updated: 11 January 2018