Skip to content
Font size: A A
Contrast: C C C C
Accessibility How to use this site
Call 999 in emergencies or 101 for non-emergencies
Contact us

Gloucestershire Constabulary is committed to stopping all kinds of domestic abuse. Research tells us there is a likelihood that this has been an ongoing issue for you.

Please report this abuse to us to enable us to help you.


What do I do now?

Report this to us, the police, IMMEDIATELY if you feel that you or your children are in danger of being harmed.

Call the police: 999 in an emergency, 101 for non-emergencies.

The call handler will ask you a series of questions that they will read out to you. This enables the correct information to be gathered from you and it will assess the urgency of the situation and the best response. Please give as much detail as possible in answer to these questions, the information that you provide will be very important in how we can then help you.


What happens next?

If you call 999 in an emergency, then the police will come immediately to where you are and ensure that everyone is safe.

If this is not an emergency but an ongoing situation and you don’t want the police to come to your address, we can make arrangements to meet you somewhere else.

Officers will:

  • consider any offences that have taken place and will speak to you away from the other person if they are still present so that you don’t have to speak in front of them
  • discuss taking a statement from you, either then or at a later time. They might ask to take photos of any injuries you have and for access to the records of any medical treatment for them
  • ask to speak to any children away from the adults
  • complete a form with you which is called a ‘DASH’.  The form contains 28 questions relating to you and your circumstances. The DASH form can be shared with other agencies to help support you

Police officers are trained in domestic abuse cases and they will take positive action to arrest offenders and protect those who are involved. You will be not asked whether or not you want an arrest to be made. This will be the decision of the officers based on what they find.

If the person is charged, he/she could be placed on bail with conditions or even kept in custody under the right circumstances. This cannot happen if the person is released with no further action being taken or is cautioned. In these cases, if officers are concerned about your safety then a Domestic Violence Protection Notice (DVPN) can be served on that person.

Once a DVPN is authorised by a superintendent, that person is due to attend court within 48 hours for a Domestic Violence Protection Order (DVPO) to be applied for by the police. This is a civil order that the court can grant which includes certain conditions designed to protect you and your family. These could include not allowing that person into your home or any other conditions that are thought to be needed to keep you and your family safe.

The DVPO can be in place for up to 14 or 28 days and is designed to give everyone some space to consider what to happens next. If a person breaches the DVPO then he/she can be arrested and put back before the court.

More information on DVPN/O’s can be found in our 'Know the law/your rights' section.


What else can I do?

We would encourage you to tell the police what is happening and let us help you. We can put you in touch with other support agencies. By telling the police, we are able to plan with these agencies for a safer future for you and your family.

If you don’t want to speak to the police, there are other services that can provide you with advice and assistance and help you to keep safe and discuss how you want to go forward.

Glos Take a Stand

Gloucestershire Domestic Abuse Support Services (GDASS) 0845 602 9035

National Domestic Violence Helpline 0808 2000 247

National Centre for Domestic Violence 0844 8044 999

Men's Advice Line 0808 801 0327

Page last updated: 20 June 2018