Skip to content
Font size: A A
Contrast: C C C C
Accessibility How to use this site
Call 999 in emergencies or 101 for non-emergencies
Contact us

If you have witnessed a crime it is important that you report this. If the crime is in progress or if there is a suspect still on scene you must call 999.


What do I do now?

If the crime has already happened you can either:

  • report this to the police by calling 101 or complete the 'report a crime' form. Give as much information as possible about the crime. You will be given an incident number to quote in the event of any follow-up correspondence regarding the case.
  • or report it anonymously to Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555 111 or by completing their online reporting form



What happens next?

If you report the incident to the police: 

  • officers may make house-to-house enquiries in an attempt to trace witnesses or any further victims
  • a witness appeal may be made through the media. In certain circumstances, a newspaper, or radio station or TV station may wish to interview you. Requests are
    usually made through the Constabulary press office. It is your decision whether you accept or decline the offer to speak to them
  • Victim Support can offer support and practical information to witnesses of crime. Counsellors here can also help if you are required to be a witness at court. Information on attending court as a witness can be found here
Page last updated: 11 January 2018