Anti-burglary checklist, free timer switch and events:
Click the 'download checklist' button for a copy our our anti-burglary checklist.
If you would like a free timer switch (while stocks last - available from November) please click here and visit one of our Burglary Awareness Engagement Vehicle Events. You will need to signup to our new Your Community Alerts service at the event to receive a free timer.
Your home contains all of your special memories. If your home is ever burgled those memories could be stolen. This year, in the run up to Christmas, when the days are getting shorter, take steps to protect your home and keep your memories safe.
We’ve put together some lists with actions you can take to make your home less of a target for burglary. Use the links to the right or below to view them.
We’ve created a quick action list (things you can do right now), a list with some actions that may require a bit of planning, and finally, a list with some actions that, if you do become a victim of burglary, may help protect your property and improve the chances of having your memories returned.
In 2015 we conducted research throughout Gloucestershire to find out how secure we keep our homes.
Out of a survey of over 400 people we found the following:
- Half of us still advertise our empty homes on social media by ‘checking in’ to other places or posting about being on holiday
- A quarter of us give burglars the tools they need to break in by leaving ladders and tools in our gardens
- Three quarters of us still don’t set our burglar alarms at night or if we go out, even if we have them in our homes
- More than a third of us don’t routinely put our valuable items out of view of burglars
- One in five of us don’t lock our doors every time we leave the house
- A quarter of us don’t leave a light on when we go out
Have you been a victim of burglary?
Visit Victim Support to see what help is available for you:
Have you been a witness of burglary and want to report through a partner agency?
Give information anonymously to independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or Crimestoppers-uk.org. No personal details are taken, information cannot be traced or recorded and you will not go to court