Heating oil tank security
The theft of heating oil and diesel has been a problem for many years and the police have always noticed an increase in this type of crime whenever the price of crude oil rises.
The position of an oil tank is an important consideration; there are practical considerations about refilling as well as the distance and height difference to the boiler. It would also be beneficial to have it located close to the house so it can be overseen, but hidden from public gaze.
Any prospective thief would need to come prepared with a suitable vehicle, containers and means of accessing the storage tank; so making a difficult approach and installing levels of security around the tank will increase their effort and reduce your risk.
Domestic heating makes a big difference to our day so it makes good sense to take a few precautions to protect it. Here’s a mixture of techniques to secure your heating fuel, keeping you warm on those cool summer evenings or cold winter days.
- Obscure the location of the tank with planting or fencing panels.
- Fit a padlock or lockable filler cap.
- Consider securing the tank within a secure cage
- Make access to the tank awkward by installing lockable gates.
- Electronic gauges can activate an alarm when the oil level drops rapidly.
- Security lights can have a very positive effect, but you must be able to see them from the house.
- CCTV can be a good deterrent and an effective security feature around your home it won’t stop the crime but it will capture evidence any event.
If you have concerns about your heating oil and the tank location please complete the Home Security Survey, further crime reduction advice could be offered by appointment.