Warning to be alert following reports of intimidating door to door sellers
Main article content
Gloucestershire Constabulary is advising residents to please be vigilant following numerous reports of intimidating door to door sellers in the past few days.
It has been reported that men have been visiting households in Hucclecote, Brockworth and Prestbury offering to sell cleaning supplies and becoming persistent when residents refuse.
Nottingham Knockers is a term used to describe doorstep callers who are often from out of county and offer a selection of household products to sell. Often they will claim to be former prisoners who are part of rehabilitation schemes that do not exist.
Legally they must be in possession of a pedlar's certificate to sell door to door which must be signed by the police for the area in which they live and they must produce it if asked.
Nottingham Knockers tend to target the elderly and we are asking that this message is shared with any elderly or vulnerable neighbours/relatives who may feel intimated by their actions.
Action Fraud advises following the below steps if an individual comes to your house:
• Always ask for identification before letting anyone you don't know into your house.
• Check credentials, including a permanent business address and landline telephone number. The mobile phone numbers given on business cards are often pay-as-you-go numbers which are virtually impossible to trace.
• Take control by asking the questions. Ask for references from previous customers or to see examples of their work.
• Don’t sign on the spot – shop around. Get at least three written quotes to make sure you’re not being ripped off.
• If in any doubt, ask the person to leave or call Citizens Advice.
Anyone who has been targeted by an intimidating door to door seller is asked to report this by completing the following online form or calling 101: https://www.gloucestershire.police.uk/tua/tell-us-about/soh/seen-or-heard/
If you feel intimidated or threatened by an individual and they are still in the area call 999.
You can also contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 if you feel that you have been the victim of this type of crime.