Warning after rogue traders target those living in Wyman's Brook, Cheltenham
Main article content
Gloucestershire Constabulary is asking residents of Cheltenham to please be vigilant following reports of rogue traders targeting those living in the Wyman’s Brook area.
Over recent days residents have been targeted by people offering to do maintenance work and taking sums of money before leaving and not returning or not completing the work as promised.
An elderly man was persuaded into having his driveway cleaned and was demanded to pay £550 for work which did not meet the given expectations.
Fraudsters are extremely manipulative, sound professional and are very convincing in order to gain a victim's trust.
On this occasion the fraudsters have targeted older residents so we are asking that this message is shared with any elderly residents or neighbours that you may have.
- Neither police nor bank officials will ever ask you to withdraw money from your account, purchase anything or hand over your personal details or passwords.
- If you believe you are being targeted by a scammer hang up the phone and use a different phone line to call Action Fraud or the police, as scammers have a way to stay on the line and will pretend to be the police when you call back.
- If you don’t have access to a different phone line, wait for a period of time and try calling a family member or friend first to make sure the scammer is no longer on the line.
- Just because someone knows basic details about you like your address or date of birth, t doesn’t mean they are genuine bank or police employees.
- Always question suspicious phone calls and report them to Action Fraud or the police.
Advice on protecting yourself from becoming a victim of fraud can be found here: https://www.gloucestershire.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/fa/fra
If you think you or someone you know has been defrauded, you can report it to Action Fraud online or by calling 0300 123 2040.
Alternatively information can be submitted to police by calling 101 or completing this online form: https://www.gloucestershire.police.uk/tua/tell-us-about/soh/seen-or-heard/Over recent days residents have been targeted by people offering to do maintenance work and taking sums of money before leaving and not returning or not completing the work.