A homeowner in Gloucester has been targeted by a lottery scam and officers are warning the public.
A man in his 60s, who lives in the Abbeydale area, received a letter from a company called Freegate Financial Corporation, claiming that he’d won £125,000 on the FIFA online lottery and to call a number to discuss his prize.
He called the number and spoke to a man with a foreign accent, who asked whether he wanted to be paid into his bank or by cheque. The victim requested by cheque and provided his date of birth. He later told his sister who suspected this to be a scam.
Thankfully the victim did not provide any bank details.
Please follow our advice in case others are targeted with this scam in the county:
- Remember that you can only win money or prizes if you take part in the competition
- Do not provide any personal or bank details to anybody you do not know
- Be suspicious if you are offered money or a prize out of the blue
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is
- Make your elderly family, friends and neighbours aware
- Please provide your full name
- Please provide a valid email address