Skip to content
Font size: A A
Contrast: C C C C
Accessibility How to use this site
Call 999 in emergencies or 101 for non-emergencies
Contact us

If you are having a dispute with your neighbour, there are steps you can take to help to resolve this. You would only need to call the police if your neighbour is breaking the law, for example, being violent, breaching the peace or harassing you.

Common issues including boundary disputes, noise, overgrown trees. Consider the following actions to help you decide how to deal with the problem:

  • before making a formal complaint, try talking to your neighbour; write a letter if you're worried about making a direct approach
  • if your neighbour is a tenant, you could contact their landlord; this could be the council, a housing association or a private landlord

  • if the dispute involves a statutory nuisance (such as noise, smells or insects from business premises, bonfires), you can make a complaint to your local council:
  • if your neighbour is being violent, harassing you or breaking the law in any other way, then you should either call us on 101 in a non-emergency, use the 'report a crime form', or call 999 in an emergency.

  • if none of these have worked, you could take legal action through the courts; free legal advice is available from law centres or the Citizens Advice Bureau




Page last updated: 11 January 2018