Friday January 18, 2013
A number of roads in Gloucestershire have been closed due to heavy snow and police are urging drivers to not make unnecessary journeys.
The current closures in place are:
A419 Cowcombe Hill
U/C Road Little Witcombe (Birdlip)
A435 Cirencester to Chelt and Charlton Kings to Severn Springs
U/C Road Toadsmoor Hill
U/C Road Nailsworth to Minchampton (Known as the W)
Parliament St Stroud
Leckhampton Hill, Cheltenham
There are also hazardous conditions on some roads and drivers are advised to avoid these areas:
A4151 Littledean Cinderford
A429 Cirencester to Northleach
A429 Stow Hill
A436 Birdlip to Severn Springs
A417 Crickley Hill
B4632 Cleeve Hill / Winchcombe
A4173 Brookthorpe / Edge / Stroud
A46 Stroud / Painswick / Brockworth
A433 Rodmarton / Kemble Area
Traffic information can also be found on the Highways Agency website here: http://www.highways.gov.uk/traffic-information/
Before you drive think whether their journey is really necessary but if you must travel follow these simple tips to safeguard yourself and other road users:
- Check that your car is up to the journey, tyres are correctly inflated and in good condition, and that your lights are clean and working properly.
- Ensure anti-freeze has been added to the radiator & that screen wash is of sufficient concentration.
- Tell a friend or relative where you are going.
- Take a spade, flask of hot drink, torch, mobile phone (fully charged or with charger), blanket and appropriate outdoor clothing.
- Slow down on icy or snowy roads and leave a greater distance between you and the car in front.
- Check your route with such organisations as RAC Travel and AA Road-watch, and tune into local radio before you set out.
- If you get stuck in an isolated area, stay with your vehicle and remember that the engine should not be left running in deep snow, as there is a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Use your mobile phone if you need to access the emergency services for help.